From The English Guy’s blog @ http://www.thex.com/rd/
Researchers at the University of Manchester in England (where else?) have come up with a formula for the beer goggles effect.
* An = number of units of alcohol consumed
* S = smokiness of the room (graded from 0-10, where 0 clear air; 10 extremely smoky)
* L = luminance of Ã¢â‚¬Ëœperson of interestÃ¢â‚¬â„¢ (candelas per square metre; typically 1 pitch black; 150 as seen in normal room lighting)
* Vo = Snellen visual acuity (6/6 normal; 6/12 just meets driving standard)
* d = distance from Ã¢â‚¬Ëœperson of interestÃ¢â‚¬â„¢ (metres; 0.5 to 3 metres)